Friday, March 14, 2008

Snow Peak 450 Single Wall Titanium Cup Test

In case you didn't read yesterday's post I bought a Snow Peak Titanium Single Wall Cup to use as a cup and also as a pot for an upcoming backpacking trip. The problem was that the mug had a tag on it that said not to bring the cup into contact with flames. This had me confused because titanium is supposed to withstand heat very, very well and the mug is single-walled, so there should be no reason why I can't heat it on a backpacking stove.

Today I stopped by the Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills Mall on my way home from work and bought a canister of butane-propane for my MSR Pocket Rocket Stove so I could test the cup. I filled the cup with water, sat it on the stove, and lit the stove.

It was a little windy today so I cranked the stove to it's full capacity. If any of this stuff was going to explode I wanted it to do so in my driveway instead of miles into the woods where I'm the only person around. The flame from the stove was never visible but I could hear it roaring loudly. The cold water I had put in the mug began to bubble almost immediately and was at a rapid boil in about 3 minutes. I let the water continue to boil rapidly for several minutes. Nothing happened to the cup. It didn't warp of distort, it didn't turn ugly colors, nothing. My stove didn't blow up either, thankfully.

Below is a picture of the cup with boiling water on the stove. As you can see, there is nothing out of the ordinary. I boiled water. Whoopee!


Snow Peak 450

2 comments:

JimBob said...

How durable is the cup? How crush and dent resistant are these?

CrazySanMan said...

I have taken mine on a total of 12 nights worth of backpacking trips and several long day hikes and it has held up fine. I think if you wanted to crush it or dent it you would have to do something like smash it between two large rocks.

I have two of these now, I bought a larger single wall Snow Peak cup (it's actually called a cooking pot). The Snow Peak cup holds my MSR pocket rocket stove, two lighters, a measuring spoon, and some single serve packets of instant coffee. Then that cup and all it's contents nest perfectly into the larger cup. With two cups I can boil water for coffee in one and use the second as a pot and bowl to cook and eat instant oatmeal, pasta, ramen noodles, etc.