Saturday, May 31, 2008

Another Backpacking Trip in the Works

I'm planning my second backpacking trip of the year. This one is going to be in the Shenandoah National Park from June 14-17. I'm going to access the park from I-64 so I'll stay in the South end of the park, mainly around Loft Mountain.

I'm thinking I'll park around mile 84 at the Jones Run Trail parking lot and hike the Jones Run Trail past the three waterfalls. I'll take the Appalachian Trail at the PATC Doyle River Cabin and follow it North.

I'm hoping to find a campsite for that first night somewhere on the approach to the Loft Mountain Campground or about halfway between the campground and the Frazier Discovery Trail. Both areas look relatively flat on my topographical map, the flattest land around. Sure, it's only about 5 miles from the Jones Run trailhead, but the first day I'll be driving to the park from Virginia Beach and I want to give myself time to photograph and enjoy the waterfalls.

I'm not real sure where to go from here. I would like to do around 10 miles Sunday and Monday and then do about 5 back to the trailhead and the car on Tuesday. I may head up the Rocky Mount/Gap Run Trail loop but that whole area looks very steep with no camping sites. I may head south on the AT and do the Wildcat Ridge/Riprap loop.

I would love to start further north and include a summit of Hawksbill or Stony Man as part of the trip but I'm a little pressed for time and don't want to drive that much farther North on Saturday and Tuesday. I would love to get some photos of a bear and they are a lot more plentiful in the Southern end of the park, and the three waterfalls are also very tempting photo subjects. I can make a trip later on to Hawksbill and Stony Man when I'm starting out from here in Baltimore because that section of the park is much closer to Baltimore. Since I'm coming in from Virginia Beach this time I should stay near I-64.

If you are familiar with Shenandoah National Park and have some suggestions for a 25 mile loop or circuit from the area around the Loft Mountain campground ending at the Jones Run trailhead around mile 83 of Skyline Drive, please let me know.

No comments: