Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More Geocaches found!

Today my friend Jessica called me and asked if I was going to be doing anything outside with the kids since it was a nice day. We decided to go geocaching. Jess lives in Cockeysville so I went to geocaching.com and searched for caches in her zip code. Since it was Jessica's first time geocaching and she was going to have her 15 month old boy with her I located two that were easily accessible and transferred the waypoints to my GPS.

The first cache we attempted was called Old Padonia Post. It was described as a park and grab and sure enough the GPS waypoint had us in a parking lot. We spent quite some time searching, maybe 20 minutes, when I found the cache. I won't give any spoilers but I'll say it wasn't at all where or what I expected. It was a very well-hidden cache. There were some muggles around here so I had to wait until it was clear to retrieve the cache. The cache itself is a mini Altoids tin so it only has a piece of paper inside for a log. We all signed it and set our sites on cache number 2.

The second cache of the evening was called Western Run washout. This is a multi cache in an industrial park near the Hunt Valley Towncenter. We were led to a small picnic area behind an office building for the first cache. After several minutes of hunting for this cache I found it. The cache's color gave it away. Inside the caceh was a scrap of paper with a new set of coordinates written on it. I created a waypoint for the new coordinates and was relieved to find that the second cache was only 440 feet away. The last thing I wanted to do was spent the evening driving in traffic on York Road.

My seven year old son found the second cache. Again the color gave it away. This cache had anoth piece of paper with more coordinates on it. I entered these into my Vista HCx and off we went. This cache led us off a path into the woods alongside the Western Run. We searched for about 25 minutes but none of us could find the cache. It was getting late so we decided to call it a night and come back another time to continue our search.

We ended the night with a find for Padonia Post and we found 2/x of the Western Run Washout cache. Not a bad evening.

No comments: